Wednesday, June 16, 2010

XLRI

I finally got to reach XLRI on the 10th. The best route to XLRI, at the moment, is through the Howrah Station, where one could get direct trains to Jamshedpur.
I wish I never ever have to make that Journey again. Howrah station is the most crowded station that I have ever seen in my life, and Kolkotta looked more or less the same as I had seen it in the movie 'City of Joy'.

Jamshedpur is whole different thing altogether though. The city's beautiful. Unlike any other city that I have ever seen. Large parks, amazingly maintained roads. Bangalore should have been like this. Bangalore's got Jamshedpur beat in one respect however. The temperature. And for that reason alone, I shall continue to count Bangalore as one of my favourite cities in India.

XLRI was all that I expected of a premium institute in India. The staff are very courteous, and helpful as well. The rooms are pretty comfortable, and in short, everything that's required to make my life comfortable, has been provided by XLRI.

The good ends over there though. Coming from Infosys, and its sprawling campuses, XLRI fails to impress me one bit. The campus and greenery are all there, however, there is a distinct feeling of 'Babudom' over here. And in some cases, signs of neglect. The sports facilities for a premium college are inadequate, and the canteen's not as good as I expected it to be. I guess we can't have our cake, and eat it too.

Coming back to XLRI, the institution. The feeling's yet to sink in that I am a student of XLRI. It's all so amazing at the moment. The lecturers have a control on their subject, that I have not seen anyplace else in my educational career so far. (Apart from 2 lecturers from Loyola in Hyd). Their patience knows no bounds either. If it were me teaching Us, I am not too sure how long I would have gone without cracking up.

The first 3 days were to be preparatory courses, but we ended up being in class till 10. This has set the tone for the rest of the year. It's unnerving, however, we do realize the benefits that are bound to come our way at the end of it all.

The registration was not exactly 'Happening' in the true sense of the word. It was at Tata Auditorium, and the dean introduced us to most of the professors in the class. And we sang an XL anthem. It did end well however, with the snacks at the end. :)

It's just been a day since classes started, and there still's not much to read at the moment. However, it definitely's a fun place to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment